The fourth and final part of my reflections on the 101 Things in 1001 Days project
76. Read a Shakespeare play I have not yet read: NOT DONE. Eh, I’d much rather see Shakespeare performed than read it.
77. Reread 5 books I love: DONE (The Catcher in the Rye; Vinegar Hill; Anne Frank: Diary of a Young Girl; A Long Way Down; The Illustrated Man)
78. Make a book of my favorite recipes and give it to a friend: NOT DONE. I started to work on this but didn’t finish.
79. “Discover” 5 bands I really like: DONE. “Discover” is in quotes because I meant “discover” in that way that every teenager “discovers” The Beatles or Led Zeppelin at some point. (The Airborne Toxic Event, Vampire Weekend, Fitz and the Tantrums, Of Monsters and Men, The Magnetic Fields)
80. Learn and use 100 new words (100/100): DONE. I do not claim that I have retained all of this knowledge or that I use most of the words regularly, but I did accomplish this.
81. Update this list at least once a week: DONE (I counted 80% as passing and hit 82.5%).
82. Find a really good blueberry muffin recipe: DONE. I’m not convinced it is the best one in the world, but it’s pretty good.
83. Go to dentist every six months: DONE. I know I’m hardly unique in that I dread going to the dentist. I kind of wish I could be sedated even for regular cleanings.
84. Send an anonymous gift to someone: DONE.
85. Fill and hang all frames that don’t have pictures in them. DONE. Of course, I have since acquired more frames and more pictures that have yet to be hung.
86. Read 150 short stories: DONE.
87. Go on a writing retreat/conference: NOT DONE.
88. Go hiking at Starved Rock: NOT DONE. I have done this in the past, but not since starting this list.
89. Go sledding: DONE. I almost didn’t get around to this one in because we got sleds for Christmas and then it hardly snowed this winter (not that that is something I would normally complain about). I did manage to do this, though.
90. Try making my own bagels: NOT DONE. This might be one of those things that is more trouble than it’s worth.
91. Go 2 months without buying any new clothes or shoes: DONE. This might not sound very difficult to people who are not me. It wasn’t easy, but I did it.
92. Complete a 1000-piece puzzle. NOT DONE. I think part of the issue here is that I feel like I would need to do this in one sitting, lest the puzzle be left out and the pieces become cat toys.
93. Stop picking at my fingers: NOT DONE. It’s a gross habit that I can’t seem to kick for very long.
94. Make a photo-letter collage: DONE.
95. Complete another ceramics project. DONE. The goal of completing one more ceramics project seems almost laughable, as I am now running out of horizontal space in my house upon which to place my ceramic creations.
96. Get a facial: DONE.
97. Try a fresh Krispy Kreme donut: NOT DONE. I am slightly afraid I may be kicked out of the United States since I cannot accomplish the goal of eating a donut during the course of 1001 days.
98. Visit 3 states I have not previously been to: DONE, and then some (Pennsylvania, Washington, Oregon, Alaska)
99. Wallpaper/paint foyer: DONE.
100. Visit a country I have not been to before: DONE, and then some (The Netherlands, Sweden).
101. Make a hat: DONE. I made it from a sweater that had developed holes in it.